PROFINET Installation Tips & Tricks On Guidelines
PROFINET INSTALLATION TIPS AND TRICKS
Are your PROFINET assets installed within specification? How do you ensure high network availability?
Minimizing Interference and Noise
Cable clearance guidelines
- Always maintain a minimum 20cm separation distance between Profinet cables and un-shielded supply cables (>400V)
- Fiber optics should be considered when running though an area with substantial risk of EMC interference
- Utilise earthed metallic cable trays or conduit to protect cabling from interference when running between cabinets.
Why is this important? Profinet cables have a shield that surrounds the cores, to protect the signal from noise and EMC injection. The shield carries any pickup to earth, the path from where the noise is picked up, to where it is drained to earth should be as short as possible.
- Industrial RJ45 connectors have an steel housing that earth the cables shield within the device
- Connector offers cable strain relief, connectors clamp onto the cables sheath to ensure the cores do not slip loose under movement device or cable movement
- Rugged industrialised design
- Integrated SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) and LLDP (Link Layer Discovery Protocol), specialised protocols allowing users to retrieve data and statistics saved within switches, such as retries, real-time bandwidth utiilisation, network topology
- Mirror port, a managed switch will allow you set up a mirror port that channels all the switches data to a single configured port. This is extremely useful if you want to run diagnostics on your Profinet network without interrupting transmission. You can utilise Profinet Engineering tools such as Procentec Netilities to monitor all network traffic on a mirror port and provide valuable diagnostic information to user.
- Certain managed switches can be utilised for the creation of redundant network structures
- Advanced features, may include: Loop protection, advanced VLAN functionality, More precise diagnostics and control of network traffic
With any industrial automation technology, specialized tools, software and network components can assist you with various tasks, from: Network commission, upgrade and to run diagnostics. There are plenty of great tools available on the market. Some of the more popular tools imperative for your installation are listed below:
Dedicated PROFINET diagnostics engineering tool. Generating a live list and providing various crucial statistics about the network. Netilities is crucial when commissioning Profinet networks, providing maintenance tasks and troubleshooting problems. You can interface Netilities with you network using a standard Ethernet/WLAN port on a PC, or the ProfiTap for a secure connection.
If you don't have a mirror port available on a managed switch by the PLC, you may require a dedicated tap device, that allows you to monitor traffic and information running through the network. A tap device can also be a more secure way to connect you PC to your industrial network, allowing only one way traffic for monitoring.
Internationally certified training ensuring site competence
One of the first steps all organisations should take to ensure a successful Profinet Integration is ensure all stakeholders involved with the implementation have the necessary training, foundation understanding and certification.
The PROFINET / PROFIBUS Competence Center of Southern Africa runs the Certified PROFINET Engineers Course periodically on our scheduled course at our offices, alternatively at a sites convenience.
Why should I attend training?
Certified PROFINET Engineers course provides the foundation for a clear site competence, knowledge and know how. Training is crucial for any installers, designers and C&I Maintenance staff.
What will be covered?
The PROFINET Engineers Course combines in-depth theoretical knowledge along with hands-on practical exposure.
How long is the course?
The Certified PROFINET Engineers Course spans over 2.5 days, with an written and practical examination to be completed on the last day. Lunch will be provided each day.
How do i sign up?
Contact the IDX Academy to obtain additional information, booking forms and pricing
firstname.lastname@example.org | (+27) 11-548-9960 | WEBSITE
For more information please feel free to contact the PROFIBUS / PROFINET Competence Centre email@example.com | +27 11 548 9960 | www.profibuscentre.co.za