How to achieve high PROFIBUS network availability
- Certified PROFIBUS Installers Course
- Foundation PROFIBUS Training Course, imparts knowledge on the PROFIBUS specifications, installation guidelines and necessary network components.
- This course should be attended by EVERYONE who works on / with a PROFIBUS network (plant automation engineers, artisans, cable installers, system integrators & even management responsible for plant production and uptime)
- Certified PROFIBUS Engineers Course
- More advanced PROFIBUS training that goes into detail on the PROFIBUS Specification, FDL analysis and advanced troubleshooting and maintenance procedures. PROFIBUS engineers are equipped to carry out network audits and conduct advanced analysis on the system.
- Persons responsible for troubleshooting, design and maintenance of PROFIBUS networks would benefit substantially from this course.
- Certified PROFIBUS PA Engineers Course
- Builds on top of the standard Certified PROFIBUS Engineers Course, giving advanced protocol specific details on PROFIBUS Process Automation (PA). Being a very hands-on course, attendees will set up a PA segment and learn advanced design, analysis and troubleshooting techniques.
- Persons responsible for troubleshooting, design and maintenance of PROFIBUS PA networks would benefit from this course.
- Certified PROFIBUS System Designer Course
- Learn best practices for any industrial automation network, including PROFIBUS, Industrial Ethernet and lower level protocols such as AS-I. Achieving high network availability is discussed in detail as well as a big focus on the necessary parts and components to achieve this.
- Persons tasked with designing, implementing and maintaining industrial automation systems would benefit substantially from this course. This course is not just limited to the PROFIBUS protocol, as most industrial fieldbus and Ethernet systems work in a similar way.
2) Network Audit
A comprehensive network audit will give an insight into all the problem areas within your PROFIBUS system. A scheduled network audit is an extremely effective way of preventing breakdowns and downtime from occurring, unnecessarily costing industry inordinate amounts each day. If you have a network audit carried out, this will ensure that your network gets back to the correct level of quality.
Some of the benefits that can be realized from an effective network audit include:
3) Network Testing Tools
A cable tester will check the integrity and correctly implemented wiring of the cable before commissioning, ensuring that there are no wiring issues such as short circuits, open circuits, missing terminations, breaks in shield continuity, etc.
All users responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of an active PROFIBUS network should have access to a reliable and powerful bus analyser. A bus analyser is a hardware and software conglomerate that can read all telegrams being transmitted on the bus and generate key summary statistics of the bus operations. The analyser should also be able to measure and feedback an electrical analysis of the bus signal utilizing an integrated oscilloscope.
Your testing tool should support the following requirements:
- Live list overview, showing an overall health of each PROFIBUS node
- Message recording and reporting functionality
- High performance bus statistics with a summary view
- Advanced oscilloscope with differential and split signal view
- Bar graph showing all driver voltages, including a varying high and low view
- Network topology detection and cable length measurement
- PROFIBUS master simulator - allowing active network configuration by utilizing its built-in GSD file database
4) Permanent Monitoring for preventative maintenance
The entire infrastructure and architecture of your network should be able to feedback error statistics and possible risks to higher level notification systems.
An example of this infrastructure may be a SCADA that receives network diagnostic information from lower level infrastructure such as diagnostic repeaters.
For critical systems and processes it is necessary to install an advanced permanent monitoring solution such as ComBricks. ComBricks is a modular, permanent monitoring solution for PROFIBUS networks. Each module can repeat to alternate channels to allow for full integration within the network architecture.
Each module has an integrated oscilloscope and ties into Procentec's ProfiTrace framework to allow for in depth signal, message and statistic analysis.
ComBricks transfers the data to the user through an on board web interface which can be accessed through the plants existing Ethernet infrastructure, additionally, it can email users on certain risk thresholds being reached.
Feel free to contact the IDX team if you would like to find out more detail on any of the topics mentioned above:
+27 11 548 9960